Bottle gourd name comes because of its shape. It is also known by a variety of other names like lauki, calabash gourd, doodhi and ghiya. Almost a staple food in India, bottle gourd has pale, smooth and waxy green surface. Listed below are few of the benefits of consuming bottle gourd –
Bottle gourd contains about 90% water, which provides a cooling to the body, helping to replenish the water lost in the form of sweat. As it has high water content, it is suitable for juice extraction.
Insomnia can be treated with the help of bottle gourd. Mixing lauki juice and sesame oil can help cure insomnia.
Helps in Digestion and treats Constipation
Since bottle gourd is high in soluble fibres and rich in water it helps in digestion and digestion related problems like constipation
Regulates Blood Pressure
Bottle gourd helps in keeping the heart healthy by regulating the blood pressure. You can stay well if you get a proper and healthy diet, blood pressure level will be reduced.
Bottle gourd can also be juiced. Below is the recipe for preparing Bottle gourd juice –
- Take a small bottle gourd, about 250 or 300 grams in weight.
- Wash the bottle gourd thoroughly to do away with any surface impurity.
- Peel the bottle gourd and cut it into small pieces. If possible, taste a small piece to find out if the bottle gourd tastes bitter.
- Add five or six mint leaves.
- Add a bit of water and put it in the blender.
- Once it is done, add a spoon of cumin powder, two spoons of black pepper powder and salt to taste. Stir well and add a few ice cubes(optional)
Bottle gourd juice internally cleanses your system, it helps to promote good skin by keeping pimples away and by balancing the secretion of oil